Work Place: The St. John’s Boys’ Choir
Location: Collegeville, MN
Post Date: 04/14/2020
JOB TITLE: Artistic Director of The St. John’s Boys’ Choir
CONTRACT: Full-time, 12-month contract
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
The Artistic Director is responsible for the overall leadership and musical direction of The St. John’s Boys’ Choir (SJBC), including recruiting, programming, tour planning, rehearsals, and performances. The Artistic Director also serves as the conductor for the Concert Choir and is responsible for the development of the Junior Varsity and Training Choirs by providing guidance to the Associate Directors. The Artistic Director reports to the Executive Director (ED) and works collaboratively with staff to develop and carry out the mission and long-range goals of the organization.
The Artistic Director should have strong vocal/choral pedagogy skills; have conducting, music literacy, and piano competency; the ability to teach children and has an understanding of the changing voice; strong public relations and marketing skills; strong computer proficiency including experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and social media platforms; and strong managerial skills.
The Artistic Director must have a proven track record of choral/youth program development and possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
The Artistic Director must hold a baccalaureate degree (graduate degree preferred) with a focus in Choral Conducting or Music Education; should have at least five years’ experience working specifically with boys in a choral setting; and should have previous experience working with a Board of Directors and/or with a non-profit organization.
Program Leadership Responsibilities
- Develop and oversee annual rehearsal and concert planning and, in conjunction with the ED, organize, plan, and prepare for Concert Choir & Junior Varsity Choir tours and assist staff with program related logistics including reserving venues, coordinating performance contracts and ensuring compliance and securing instrumentalists.
- Network with and develop strong relationships with arts organizations, music directors and local music teachers, administrators, and community groups to increase the visibility of the SJBC and promote collaborative activities and performances with these groups.
- Attract, recruit, retain, manage and inspire excellent musical leadership with all conducting and educational staff.
- Oversees the musical operations of the Junior Varsity Choir and the Training Choir.
- Research repertoire, and in conjunction with other conductors, determine repertoire for all choirs and order all music.
- Oversee logistics and fulfillment of all approved artistic and educational programs.
- Oversee and nurture a supportive and high–quality musical learning environment for youth.
- Demonstrate a high professional standard and dynamic understanding of the boys’ voice, vocal pedagogy, language and diction, and diverse musical styles and genres.
- Develop annual artistic and educational program ideas and appropriate curriculum.
- Manage the Comprehensive Musicianship Program and recruit and schedule piano, voice, and theory teachers.
Administrative Responsibilities – In conjunction with the ED
- Provide programming and budget information for grant applications.
- Prepare concert programs, recruitment materials, promotional materials, and others as necessary.
- Work with Executive Director on budget needs to implement programs.
Completion of a background check is required for this position.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through May 7, 2020.