Work Place: Twin Cities Community Gospel Choir
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Post Date: 10/28/2019
JOB DESCRIPTION – ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
TCCGC’s Mission is to use Gospel music to inspire audiences with a message of hope, joy, and harmony.
TCCGC endeavors to offer a soulful interpretation of the African American Gospel music tradition and create community across racial, cultural and economic boundaries.
This is a part-time, contracted position. The Artistic Director reports to the Executive Director.
a. Negotiable, commensurate with experience.
b. Eligible for bonus payments.
The artistic director is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and focus of the organization. The primary objective of this position is to be responsible for the musical quality and artistry of rehearsals and concerts, promoting excellence in the performance of the choir.
Primary responsibilities — Provide artistic leadership for the choir and organization:
- Teach and promote the tradition of Gospel music to choir members and the community.
- Be responsible for the musical quality and artistry of rehearsals and concerts and promote excellence in the performance of the choir. Attend and conduct all rehearsals and concerts, or occasionally and only as necessary, arrange for a substitute.
- Retain the services of an accompanist or musicians for rehearsals and performances who shall serve at the discretion of the Artistic Director in consultation with the Executive Director. Retain the services of concert guest artists as necessary and within the approved budget. Supervise all musicians/artists.
- Appoint soloists, section leaders and small ensemble members as desired.
- Work with the Executive Director to determine musical selections.
- Work with the Executive Director on business matters, including such things as contracts, equipment, technical aspects and budgets.
- Work with the Executive Director to set goals for program development for the organization and evaluate the success of the choir and organization on an ongoing basis.
- Represent the organization in the community.
- Promote the choir in the community.
- Cultivate relationships within the broader community to further program goals, increase the choir’s visibility and encourage collaboration.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop a full schedule of concerts and outreach/service events to broaden the organization’s impact in the community.
- Perform such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Executive Director.
Key competencies, Required Skills/Experience:
- Possesses in-depth knowledge and understanding of the African American Gospel music
- Demonstrates a track record of success in developing and leading music programs.
- Works with, engages and motivates people of diverse backgrounds and personalities.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills, and a collaborative, team-based work style.
- Demonstrates proficiency in voice and piano.
- Possesses a solid knowledge of the local music scene as it pertains to furthering the choir’s mission and community outreach.
- Communicates effectively and appropriately, both verbally and in writing.
- Multitasks: works on multiple projects simultaneously and is a problem-solver.
- Uses electronic media including internet, email and social media.
- Understands and works within a budget.
- Possesses the qualities of integrity, credibility, passion for and commitment to the mission.
- Demonstrates competency in reading musical scores.
- Completed a degree in music or music education or has commensurate experience.
- 3+ years’ experience conducting a diverse, community-based choir with various skill levels and experience.
Contact Person: Jack Perkins