Work Place: Twin Cities Girls’ Choir
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Post Date: 07/01/2019
Choir Director – Aurora Choir
The Choir Director is a part-time year-round position, which offers the opportunity for professional and artistic growth in the choral community engagement arena under the auspices of a well-established choral organization. The position reports to the Executive Director, and manages all artistic aspects of the Twin Cities Girls’ Choir programming for the Aurora Choir, grades 6-9.
Duties will include, but are not limited to, creating and leading the artistic vision and programming, singer development, engagement and retention; student and parent liaison, rehearsal and concert support, volunteer coordination, and general program collaboration. The position entails weekly Monday evening rehearsals additional evening and weekend hours for our five concert/events throughout the season.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Model and implement the mission, vision and values of Her Voice Productions.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to formulate, implement and monitor annual and long-range plans, goals, and objectives for Her Voice Productions.
- Partner with the Executive Director to set the annual artistic vision focusing on developing the skills, abilities and confidence of the singers while engaging and growing audiences
- Continually pursue greater understanding of youth learning and development to better facilitate musical learning experiences that cultivate an affirming and engaging environment
- Select a diverse body of repertoire for the Choir and teach from a culturally sensitive and informed perspective
- Create intentional objectives for each song that outline the musical, social, and cross-cultural learning goals
- Meet individually with or survey parents at the beginning of the season to determine specific goals for their singer’s development; build findings into Season plans as appropriate
- Design and lead weekly rehearsals to ensure singer engagement as well as measurable gains in vocal skill development, ear training, sight singing and performance preparation
- Implement the use of practice tools, benchmarks, assessments and forms of recognition that measure, acknowledge and encourage student accomplishments
- Provide bi-annual feedback to parents on their singer’s progress and challenges
- Communicate with parents/families on a weekly basis to ensure consistent and up-to-date information has been given
- Conduct all performances (including high profile venues) for Aurora Choir
- Plan and execute choir retreat/tours in collaboration with other music staff and Executive Director
- Actively recruit and communicate performance opportunities and/or collaborations with complementary groups, artists, clinicians, or organizations.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Youth Choir Coordinator to ensure all performance logistics/scheduling are handled
- Assist in rehearsal and concert set-up, take down and clean-up
- Attend staff and program meetings
- Provide content and updates for the NewsNotes
- Work collaboratively with Luna Director, Youth Choir Coordinator and accompanists
- Be an ambassador for Her Voice Productions in the community: connecting regularly with families, recruiting new singers, audiences, volunteers and donors, and actively promoting the Choirs in all relevant communities
- Work with Executive Director to set and manage yearly program budgets
- Assist Executive Director in grant writing and attend fundraising events
- Perform other duties as assigned
Contact Person: Elisa Olson
Contact Phone: (612) 286-1717