Work Place: St. Luke Presbyterian Church
Post Date: 07/24/2019
Deadline: Until Filled
The Pianist provides piano accompaniment for the St. Luke’s choir and congregation, while supporting the overall music ministry life of this church.
About St. Luke Presbyterian Church:
St. Luke Presbyterian Church is a joyful, inclusive and compassionate community on a spiritual journey seeking to do justice, make peace, act mercifully, and to walk humbly with God. We envision a world in which all are welcome at the table of God’s abundance, all creation flourishes in balance and wholeness, and all may live in peace. Our community is compassionate, creative, theologically progressive and casual in atmosphere. Our community enjoys a variety of music, from contemporary to classical. Our choir is growing and routinely offers special music programs, like Paul Winter’s “Missa Gaia Earth Mass” and John Rutter’s “Requiem.” The Pianist will join an energetic staff team that thinks creatively and enjoys exploring new possibilities together.
With direction and support from the Director of Music, the Pianist: accompanies the adult choir in weekly rehearsals and during the worship service; accompanies the congregation in singing hymns; and plays service music (including prelude, offertory and accompaniment for other performers or dancers as needed). The Pianist has the opportunity to share in worship planning, as well, though it is not necessarily required of candidates.
The Pianist position is a part-time, salaried position, with typical workload consisting of 8 hours per week during the programmatic year (Sept-May) and 5-6 hours during the summer season (June-August). Hours will vary with seasonal demand. Salary is commensurate with experience. The Pianist will be directly supervised by the Senior Pastor of St. Luke.
Note: we are willing to consider structuring this position as a Choral Pianist, as our Director of Music can provide worship service accompaniment when not conducting the choir. A Choral Pianist iteration of this position will carry fewer responsibilities and a smaller typical workload.
- Accompany the adult choir for once-weekly evening rehearsals and on Sunday morning, during the Sunday worship, and for special music programs (such as special concerts, Christmas Eve, Holy Week, etc).
- Accompany the congregation in the singing of hymns.
- Select and play piano music for preludes, offertories, and other interludes during the worship services as needed.
- Accompany special guest musicians, dance groups or individuals as required.
- Assist the Pastor(s) and Director of Music in planning worship music, as requested.
- Help to lead sectionals during choir rehearsals, as needed.
- Insure piano humidity levels are kept at an appropriate level.
- Occasionally accompany extra rehearsals (other than weekly choir rehearsal) for special music presentations as needed.
3-5 years of experience in accompanying vocal groups on the piano in a variety of styles. Experience in accompanying instrumentalists and/or participation in instrumental ensembles. Ability to play solo music and sight-read is required, as is the ability to read open scores and lead sheets.
Musical Activities Outside of Scope of Pianist:
Activities listed below are considered outside the scope of Pianist, but they may be done either on a freelance or volunteer basis. Fees for extra services and performances will be paid by the organization or individual hosting the event and should be negotiated directly between the Pianist and the organization or individual.
- Participation in the bi-annual “intergenerational production.”
- Participation in services outside the normal church program, such as interfaith or communal offerings (example: Blessing of the Animals service).
- Participation in weddings, funerals, receptions, etc.
Interested applicants may send their resume, along with a brief letter of introduction and interest, to the office of St. Luke at firstname.lastname@example.org