Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus is a 501c3 nonprofit organization with 40 years of musical excellence and social justice activism in Minnesota. Our chorus seeks to foster our relationships within our local higher education sector.
The student intern will be responsible for the direction of one of our small ensembles. Additionally, the intern will have the opportunity to work with wth full chorus as desired.
Position Title: Student Intern Conductor
Reports To: Artistic Director
Position Type: Part-time, paid internship
Contract Length: 9 mos. (September 2021 – June 2022)
- Direct one of the TCGMC small ensembles on a weekly schedule – schedule to be determined in conjunction with the intern, artistic director, and the singers of the ensemble.
- Audition singers for the ensemble with the principle accompanist and artistic director
- Work with the artistic director to choose ensemble repertoire for the mainstage concerts and run-out performances
- Attend bi-weekly artistic staff meetings (or as scheduled) in person or via Zoom
- Create a brief monthly report for the Board of Directors
- Create a 15-20minute repository of repertoire for the ensemble to be used for outreach engagements
- Direct the ensemble on all mainstage concerts as available
- Direct the ensemble at outreach engagements as available
- Assist the full chorus with sectional rehearsals and other rehearsals as needed
- Meet monthly (in person or via Zoom) with the artistic director to discuss progress and to generate ideas for future opportunities.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Intern will be currently enrolled in a choral conducting/vocal music education degree track
- Undergraduate seniors considered, Master’s or DMA students preferred.
- Experience conducting ensembles of varying ability levels
- Highly effective communication skills
- Ability to play choral parts on the piano (accompanist available for concerts)
- Commitment to continuing education through ADEI work.
- Commitment to upholding the mission of Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus
- Excellent musicianship skills
- Passion for serving community
TCGMC welcomes all applicants regardless of social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, race, color, religion or belief, national, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression.
Please send the following materials to email@example.com:
- Resume or CV
- Statement of interest
- 3 references who are familiar with you as a musician
Interviews will begin July 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest!