Work Place: Colonial Church Chorale
Location: Edina, MN
Post Date: 05/19/2021
Deadline: Until Filled
Position: Chorale Director
Reports to: Jeff Lindsay, Senior Minister
Under the leadership of the Senior Minister, the Chorale Director will be responsible for organizing and directing the 60+ voice Colonial Chorale throughout the Sept-May season. This individual will manage various aspects of vocal, and sometimes instrumental, performances of the Chorale and small ensembles. The Chorale Director will provide oversight and administration of the worship and music activities at Colonial Church.
- Plan and lead Wednesday night Chorale rehearsals to prepare for Sunday mornings and special services.
- Plan and lead additional rehearsals as necessary, e.g. Saturday rehearsal preceding Lessons and Carols and Easter.
- This individual will be responsible for collaborating in leading worship at the 9:30am worship service; serving as the Chorale Director.
- Lead Christmas Services (Lessons & Carols, Christmas Eve), Maundy Thursday, and two Easter services.
- Lead the Choral Scholar/Section Leader program, selecting singers and ensuring that the program meets its stated goals.
- Optional future opportunities: Plan and execute additional activities, e.g. collaborating on large choral works with other choirs, add a bell choir in the future, and/or plan ensemble travel opportunities.
- Optional: Serve as Music Director for Giving Voice Crosstown (a choir for people with dementia and their caregivers – see separate job description – Chorale Director role may be combined with the Giving Voice role if appropriate for the candidate)
- Work alongside the organist and pastoral team to plan pieces and hymns that fit within the desired sermon series and the theology and mission of Colonial Church.
- Attend worship planning meetings monthly.
- Work alongside the administrative assistant supporting the music ministry to ensure music is ordered, musicians are hired, communications are sent, the music library is organized, etc. while operating within the department’s budget.
Essential skills and experience:
- Demonstrated commitment to Christian faith and the mission and values of Colonial Church
- Education: BA/BS, with relevant coursework in directing a music ensemble and individual vocal performance.
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Effective interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to develop a team
- Proven ability to select and appropriately rehearse a variety of sacred choral literature with a seasoned volunteer ensemble
- Technology proficiency with Apple formats, Google, and other current technologies
- Strong attention to detail
Contact Person: Jessica Krueger
Contact Phone: (952) 224-9516