Work Place: First UMC
Location: Sartell, MN
Post Date: 10/31/2022
Deadline: Until Filled
Director of Music Ministries
Standard Work Schedule:
10-20 hours a week, depending on skill, experience, and ability. May be possible to combine this job with the Engagement Coordinator position and/or Congregational Life Minister position to make a full-time job if desired.
In alignment with the overall mission and vision of the church and in collaboration with the Pastors, accompanist, and worship teams, the Director of Music Ministries will inspire and grow the vital music program, creating community through teaching and empowering musicians to lead worship. This person will bring inspiration to the music, making it more than just notes on the page as we experience God’s presence, healing, and love through music in worship.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Identify, Recruit, Train, and Deploy Laity in Ministry
- Empower and teach musicians to be spiritual leaders using their God-given talents.
- Recruit and support volunteer and paid musicians in an atmosphere of both inclusivity and excellence.
- Work with ensembles, including the choirs, to ensure broad music styles of hymns, classical and contemporary music, anthems, responses and the use of varied instrumentation in worship, including working with both volunteer and paid musicians.
- Collaboratively develop worship services that use music to inspire, teach, and share God’s love.
- Expand the number, ages, and interest of people involved in music ministry.
- Promote spiritual reflection and fellowship at musical gatherings, including rehearsals.
- Work with Pastors and Staff to plan thematically appropriate music including regular collaboration with volunteer instrumentalists, paying attention to theological consistency, inclusive language, and musical appropriateness.
- Communicate with the AV Team the needs and details of worship.
- Maintain excellent communication with pastors, accompanist, other music ministry leaders and teams, volunteer musicians and support staff.
- Oversee the selection and purchase of music for worship and maintain the music library and inventories, with assistance from music volunteers.
- Experience in technology is expected, including computer-based music sources and software and the ability to learn church office software such as Realm, Google Docs, and OneNote.
- Develop, maintain, and work within an approved budget and use dedicated funds to enhance worship and follow the mission of the church.
- Coordinate the required reporting with the Office Administrator for music licensing and copyright regulations.
- As needed, provide information about music ministries to celebrate what’s happening in the communications of the church and to recruit new people.
- Communicate with the Office Administrator regarding rehearsal schedule changes, building space needs and set ups required as well as sharing data about who is participating in music ministries.
- Gifts needed for this ministry include both the desire and personal faith commitment to lead people in whole hearted worship of God.
- A BA in music performance or education preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of Christian worship traditions and leadership, including knowledge of hymnody and interest in a wide range of vocal music traditions and styles.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with staff and volunteers with particular emphasis on equipping volunteers and their development.
- Work collaboratively with Pastors and Staff towards the shared vision and mission of the church.
- Is dedicated towards personal spiritual growth and living a healthy lifestyle.
- Demonstrates commitment to the inclusivity of all God’s people.
- Provides a welcoming, hospitable environment in-person, on the phone, and electronically.
- Upholds confidentiality with the Pastor, Staff, and others as it relates to information affecting the overall function and health of the church and its ministry.
- Exhibits flexibility around position function and evolving music and worship needs.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures outlined in the church’s Employee Hand-book and publicly supports the Pastors, staff, and mission of the church.
Contact Person: Linda Agre
Contact Phone: (320) 251-0804